However, those who plan to play at beach parties or other outdoor scenes must get the best weatherproof PA speakers or risk damaging their device.
While many may prefer to build their own, getting a weatherproof PA system with all the right gear is easier and more efficient.
This review will look at the best weatherproof PA speakers while revealing all the factors you need to consider when buying.
Here are the top market options for their features, price, and sound quality. So, let’s see them!
Best Weatherproof PA Systems Reviewed
1. Best of All: ION Explorer Outback 2 Speaker System
Design: Boasting a robust construction and a sleek design, the Ion Explorer Outback 2 is undoubtedly one of the best IPX5 water-resistant PA speakers.
This waterproof speaker system has two carrying handles on each side, a pair of inbuilt wheels, and a telescoping handle at the top for easy portability.
More importantly, it features a user-friendly interface, an integrated bottle opener, and extra-deep cup holders.
Performance: The rugged Outback 2 is a water-resistant speaker that delivers a phenomenal audio performance while streaming your music via Bluetooth.
Powered by a 100-watt dynamic amplifier, this 2-way speaker system has an added bass boost function and can deliver a fantastic sound. Additionally, it’s a rechargeable speaker with a whole battery life that lasts for 10 hours straight at full volume.
- Sturdy and rugged construction
- User-friendly design with easy connection
- Heavy-duty sound performance
- Excellent battery life
- The speaker is heavy (13.4 kg)
- The accessory pouch feels a bit cheap
The Explorer Outback 2 offers a heavy-duty sound for demanding indoor and outdoor spaces.
This PA system is portable thanks to its integrated handles and an inbuilt rechargeable battery that lasts for ten continuous hours at maximum volume.
It has everything you need for your audio entertainment, built in an industrial weatherproof and shockproof casing with a durable design and a rubberized frame. It’s an excellent weatherproof PA speaker for the price!
2. Best Value/Most Rugged: ECOXGEAR GDI-EXBLD810 Waterproof PA System
Design: Built in a compact and user-friendly fashion, the ECOXGEAR GDI-EXBLD810 Waterproof PA System is hands down one of the most rugged weatherproof PA speakers.
This portable PA speaker boasts IP67 waterproof and dustproof standards, allowing it to survive all outdoor elements like dirt, snow, debris, and water.
This durable speaker system has a removable waterproof storage compartment to safeguard your phone and accessories.
Performance: With a 3-inch tweeter, an 8″ passive woofer, and a full-range speaker, the GDI-EXBLD810 will pump some serious tunes with up to 100 watts of dynamic power.
The sound performance is awe-inspiring, with crisp highs, clear mids, and a surprisingly robust bass response.
Additionally, this speaker delivers a whopping battery life of 10 hours at full volume and up to 100 hours on low volume levels.
- Compact design with a user-friendly interface
- IP67 waterproof and dustproof standards
- Good battery life (up to 100 hours)
- Powerful amplifier for a massive 100watt sound
- Long-range Bluetooth connectivity (up to 100ft)
- The speaker is a bit heavy
- It only projects the sound in one direction
If you need the best weatherproof PA speaker system with phenomenal sound performance, versatility, and durability, this ECOXGEAR PA system is your solution. This IP67 waterproof speaker can withstand all outdoor elements.
The speaker can float on water if you drop it in your pool or lake. Furthermore, it has superb Bluetooth connectivity, a telescoping handle, and inbuilt wheels for easy portability.
3. Most Affordable: ION Audio Party Rocker Plus
- Dynamic, powerful sound - Powerful 6.5-inch woofer and wide-dispersion tweeter deliver vibrant sound, plus 50...
- Connectivity covered – Seamlessly connect and send your music to party Rocker Max from any Bluetooth-enabled...
- Energizing light show – Sound-reactive light dome fills the room with six vibrant colors: Red, green, blue,...
Design: The ION Audio Party Rocker Plus is a rugged IPX4 waterproof speaker that can confidently endure harsh conditions.
With a convenient carrying handle and a rechargeable battery, the Tailgater Express is ready for outdoor adventures.
Moreover, It has a simple interface for smooth operation, and you can use it to charge your phone using the featured USB port.
Performance: This weatherproof loudspeaker is powered by a 20-watt amplifier; the Tailgater Express is loud enough to rock your pool party or a karaoke party if you pair it with a microphone.
The speaker’s robust 4-inch woofer delivers a high-quality sound with enough volume and bass. Furthermore, the rechargeable battery ensures you continuously enjoy your music for up to 30 hours.
- Excellent 30-hour battery life
- 20 watts dynamic power
- IPX4 water-resistant construction
- Highly affordable
- The AM radio signal is a bit weak
Overall, the Tailgater Express is the best weatherproof PA speaker for anybody looking for a lightweight and portable unit at an affordable price.
It has excellent battery life and a convenient carrying handle, allowing you to take your music anywhere you need. Additionally, it has beautiful audio performance and a friendly interface for easy personalization.
4. Most Portable: ION Pathfinder II Rugged Waterproof PA System
Design: When looking to have a great time outdoors regardless of the weather, the ION Pathfinder II is the way to go – it’s one of the best outdoor pa speakers.
This powerful PA speaker has rugged and water-resistant exteriors, allowing you to stream your music in any weather.
More importantly, the speaker comes with a telescoping handle, two-side carrying handles, and a pair of wheels for convenient portability.
Performance: While connecting with your devices through Bluetooth, this IPX5 water-resistant speaker pumps a fantastic sound through its 8″ speaker. Its 2-way speaker system is powered by a dynamic amplifier, giving you 100 watts of peak power.
Even better, the inbuilt battery lasts for up 100 hours for non-stop fun. However, the FM radio could use a better antenna.
- Rugged, water-resistant enclosure
- Telescoping handle and wheels for portability
- Vibrant sound performance
- Reliable battery life
- It could use a better battery
- It’s a little pricey compared to other units
Firstly, this Pathfinder II Weatherproof Loudspeaker is a little pricey compared to most PA systems on this list, but it does offer features and is built to account for that.
This rugged speaker is IPX5 Water-resistant, allowing you to enjoy indoor and outdoor scenes in rain or sunshine.
Additionally, it has a built-in light bar that gives the perfect touch by offering exciting lighting effects.
5. Most Powerful: Pyle PWMDJ88BT Portable Active PA Speaker
Design: This active PA speaker system from Pyle comes with a powerful 700-watt portable speaker and wireless microphone at a very affordable price.
The speaker features rugged exteriors for durability and a telescoping handle for portability. Additionally, it’s equipped with six input options and flashing DJ lights that bring your outdoor parties to life.
Performance: With 7000 watts peak power, this weatherproof PA speaker system is an audio powerhouse that gives you crystal clear sound.
You can connect your Smartphone or tablet through Bluetooth connectivity and create your soundtracks using the audio recording function.
Moreover, it features a compact and powerful 4000mAh rechargeable battery that makes it convenient and easily portable.
- Full-range stereo sound with impressive bass
- Rugged and heavy-duty design
- Able to record vocals through the microphone
- Convenient carrying handle
- Not fully submersible in water
Packing 700 watts of peak power in a robust unit, the Pyle PWMDJ88BT Active PA Speaker is one of the most powerful weatherproof DJ speaker systems on the market. Better yet, it’s an outdoor pa system with wireless speakers.
Thanks to its heavy-duty design and convenient carrying handle, the speaker can be used in any outdoor scene. Many people choose to mount these speakers on walls for outdoor use. Moreover, it has flashy DJ lights that dance to the beats to create fabulous outdoor parties.
Best High-End Outdoor Speakers
Sometimes, you may need a high-end outdoor speaker to handle harsh weather conditions or play loudly. Below is a list of the best high-end outdoor speakers:
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR LOUDSPEAKERS - Whether you want to enjoy your favorite music by the pool, the patio, or your...
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE - These speakers feature a 6.5” IMG woofer, 1” titanium dome tweeter mated to a...
- EASY TO MOUNT - The AW-650 can be mounted almost anywhere and still deliver clean, clear, and dynamic...
- CREATED TO LIVE AND PLAY OUTDOORS, your Atrium Speakers can be installed in any open space—by a pool, in the...
- WIDER SOUND DISPERSION & SURPRISINGLY POWERFUL BASS driven by a 4 1/2" mineral filled Dynamic Balance polymer...
- Recognized as ONE OF THE BEST-LOOKING OUTDOOR SPEAKERS, Polk Atrium 4 speakers come with a steeply-angled...
- True 2.1 System: The subwoofer employs a 2-way, 12db crossover at 200Hz, so it uses all frequencies below...
- Heard Not Seen: With the body of the subwoofer and the speaker wires buried in the ground, the system fills...
- Easy Install: Rather than needing to run separate wires from the amplifier to each speaker, only a single,...
- APPEARANCE: The RX550 is a fun and unique speaker that is designed to seamlessly integrate into your garden,...
- DURABLE: The RX550’s Aerospace Grade, multi-layer Composite Cabinetry is fabricated to withstand rain,...
- SOUND QUALITY: The OSD Outdoor Rock Speaker Pair features a 5.25” woofer and stamped Aluminum tweeter that...
If you don’t have the funds for a high-end outdoor speaker, you can get a regular speaker and use a waterproof speaker cover to keep it safe.
How We Choose the Best Weatherproof PA Speakers
While there are various PA speaker systems in the market, you must consider multiple factors before buying the best weatherproof PA speaker and portable pa systems for outdoor events.
These factors include:
- Portability – While all PA systems and all weatherproof loudspeakers are technically portable, you need to choose a speaker that will serve your needs well without any issues. If you plan to take the speaker to the beach or other outdoor places far from the power source, you’ll also need your weatherproof PA speaker to feature an inbuilt battery. Another great option is a portable outdoor speaker. However, your needs are all that matter regarding
- Budget – When it comes to weatherproof PA systems and weatherproof loudspeakers, you can find a wide range of products depending on your budget. Some cost a few hundred dollars, while others could go as high as a thousand dollars or more. Nevertheless, you can find some pretty good options on a decent budget.
- Audio Performance – The audio performance of your PA speaker system depends on your uses. For those who need to power up a pool party or any other medium-sized gathering, most solutions in this article will work for you without worrying about the volume or audio power.
- Additional gear required – When buying a weatherproof PA speaker, you’ll need to consider if there are any additional pieces of equipment you may need before using it. That may include microphones, speaker stands, and additional cables that will need to fit into your current budget.
1. What is the best waterproof rating for speakers?
An IP certification of IPX4-IPX7 is suitable for waterproof speakers. However, it ultimately depends on your demands. A speaker that has an IPX4 certificate can withstand water splashes. Speakers having an IPX7 rating, however, may be immersed in water for up to 30 minutes at a time.
2. What makes a speaker water resistant?
The item most likely has a thin-film nanotechnology coating that protects it from water contact, making it resistant to water.
3. Can outdoor speakers stay out in winter?
During the cold, the parts within your outdoor speaker may crack. The components might be harmed if you use the speakers and crank up the volume. Never turn on the speakers when it is below freezing. Try not to use them at temperatures below 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Can the sun damage speakers?
There are chances your speakers may overheat, harm the electromagnetic voice coils, and destroy your sound if left in direct sunlight. Ask the speaker’s dealer about direct contact to sunlight and also follow precautions even if they are of prime quality.
There you have it, the top weatherproof PA speakers available in 2020. Based on our review, our top pick from the list would be the Ion Explorer Outback 2.
Nevertheless, all these PA speakers deliver excellent sound quality for those who appreciate the durability and outstanding performance at your next event. After all, these are the best portable pa systems for outdoor events.
Norvan Martin is the founder of BoomSpeaker.com. He is a professional Electronics Engineer and is passionate about home theater systems and AV electronics. BoomSpeaker was created as an online hub to share his knowledge and experiences as it relates to home theaters and home audio electronics.