Most modern monitors aren’t designed with built-in speakers. However, let’s say you want to connect your gaming console like a PS3 or Xbox to the monitor; then, you will need sound for an immersive gaming experience. Maybe you are connecting your laptop to a monitor and you want to play sound through external speakers.
So, how do you get sound from a monitor without speakers, meaning a monitor without built-in speakers?
1. Use an HDMI Audio Extractor
If your monitor lacks built-in speakers, an HDMI Audio Extractor offers an effective solution. This device allows sound to be sent to the monitor, with the HDMI cable carrying both audio and visual signals without quality compromise. The main steps to set this up include:
- HDMI and Device Compatibility: Ensure that both devices, such as a laptop or Apple TV, have an HDMI port.
- About the HDMI Audio Extractor: This device connects two source devices via HDMI and separates the audio. The extracted audio can then be played through another device.
Setup Steps with an Example (Apple TV and JBL Speaker):
- Connecting Devices:
- Insert the HDMI cable into the HDMI output of the audio extractor and the other end to your monitor’s HDMI input.
- Connect analogue cables to the “Audio Output” on the audio extractor.
- Use an auxiliary cord from the analogue cables and plug it into the AUX input on the JBL speaker.
- Connect another HDMI cable from the HDMI input of the audio extractor to the HDMI output of the Apple TV.
- Power on the Apple TV to check if both audio and visuals are functional on the monitor.
- Connecting Devices:
Steps to Troubleshoot The Connection Using an HDMI Audio Extractor With a PC
To enable audio output using HDMI audio extractor, you should do the following:
Step 1: Ensure all the computer has an up-to-date sound driver installed.
Step 2: Right-click on the output devices and select the suitable audio output from the external speakers.
Step 3: Use an HDMI splitter if using multiple input devices to connect all the ports and enable the sound.
Step 4: If no sound is being produced, restart the device.
2. Use The 3.5 mm Output On The Monitor
If your monitor has a 3.5 mm audio out, then you can easily connect external speakers. In fact, you can connect two speakers for the L/R channel using an audio splitter cable.
Of course, for this to work, your speakers should have 3.5 mm inputs.
Here is the process:
- Get two sets of male to male audio cables like the AmazonBasics 3.5 mm Male to Male Stereo Audio Aux. You need to also get an audio splitter like the Syncwire Stereo Y Splitter.
- Connect the 3.5 mm cables to the speakers.
- Connect the 3.5 mm cables to the female end of the splitter.
- Connect the male end of the splitter to the monitor.
That’s it, another quick and easy way to get sound from your monitor without inbuilt speakers.
3. Use The Optical Out Connection (SPDIF)
Many gamers who use gaming consoles such as Xbox and PS4 may choose to use the optical audio out connection from the monitor to their speakers or another audio device.
This type of connection is a standard for transmitting high-quality digital audio without going through an analog conversion process.
We generally do not recommend this because your monitor shouldn’t really be outputting anything but video. Your plan should be to output your console’s video to the monitor, and audio from the console to the speakers.
In any case, if you choose to use the optical out connection, here is how you can go about it:
- Connect the optical cable to the monitor.
- Connect the next end of the optical cable to an optical enabled device like a mixamp. You could also connect the optical cable to a receiver if you have a larger surround sound system and want to enjoy a truly immersive gaming experience!
- Connect your headphone to the mixamp and enjoy!
4. Use Composite Cables (For Consoles)
A standard AV multi-port cable comes with a video connection and left and right audio channels.
This is a composite connection that will deliver standard definition audio and video. This means you will not be able to view HD content using this cable.
Consoles like PS3 and so on will have a standard AV multi-port for outputting audio and video data.
All you need to do is to connect the display cable to the console and then connect the speakers using the L/R audio channels. If your speaker uses a 3.5 jack, then you will need a 3.5mm male to RCA female adapter like the CERRXIAN 3.5mm Stereo to 2-RCA Male to Female Adapter [Amazon link].
If you are using headphones, you will also need a 3.5mm stereo coupler like the Monoprice 107185 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 3.5mm Stereo Jack [Amazon link].
Keep in mind that you can also try a composite to component converter if for some reason you have to use a composite cable. We explain more about component connections below.
5. Use Component or RGB Cables (For Consoles)
Another way to connect your speakers is to use a component cable. With component cables, you will be able to achieve high definition quality.
With these cables, audio is supplied to the left and right connections. Here is how you can connect with component cables:
- Connect the cable to the AV multi-out on the console.
- Connect the speakers using the L/R channels.
- As with composite cables, if your speaker uses a 3.5 jack, then you will need a 3.5mm male to RCA female adapter like the CERRXIAN 3.5mm Stereo to 2-RCA Male to Female Adapter [Amazon link]. If you are using headphones, you will also need a 3.5mm stereo coupler like the Monoprice 107185 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 3.5mm Stereo Jack [Amazon link].
- Change the console’s audio settings so that sound is output through audio input connectors.
That’s it, your system should now be ready to go!
6. Connect Speakers Wirelessly
The emergence of Bluetooth technology makes it possible to get sound from your system with ease. In addition, we also have wireless speakers which are speakers that receive audio signals using radio frequency (RF) waves. All you need is a Bluetooth speaker – simply pair it with the system, and you will be able to start playing or streaming immediately.
What if your system doesn’t have Bluetooth? Not to worry, you can use a USB-to-Bluetooth cable or a wireless hub that connects by USB to your device. The great feature of these hubs is that they give you the ability to use multiple speakers or audio output options.
Check out our list of the best affordable Bluetooth speakers available as well as the best wireless or wifi speakers available. If you are using a PC, check out our list of the best speakers for PCs with subwoofers.
However, to get the desired sound output wirelessly, you have to invest in wireless speakers.
If your computer or other source device does not have Bluetooth, you can buy a USB to Bluetooth cable if your device is USB enabled. This way, you can get the benefits of Bluetooth-enabled devices without buying new machines.
Once you purchase a USB to Bluetooth cable, you will be able to establish a Bluetooth connection at your convenience.
How To Pair A Bluetooth Device
- Turn on your Bluetooth device and make ensure it is discoverable. Normally, the device will tell you it is ready to pair.
- On your PC, select Start > Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices > Add Bluetooth or other device > Bluetooth. Choose the Bluetooth device and follow the on-screen instructions then select Done.
- The devices should then connect automatically.
7. Use a USB Multiport Adapter
In some cases, you may find that your monitor does not come with a 3.5 mm jack. Not to worry, however, you can still get audio from your monitor by using a USB multiport adapter. You can connect the adapter to your monitor using USB but you need to verify whether the USB connection is standard UBS or USB-C. Once you have done that, simply connect your speakers to the adapter.
A good example of a useful multiport adapter is the DockTeck USB-C Multiport Adapter.
How Do I Get Sound From My Monitor?
To enable your monitor speakers and get quality sound from them, you should go to the system tray area of your Windows taskbar and right-click on the audio icon.
After that, select “Payback devices.” Click your monitor’s name in the list of devices if you connected your monitor speaker via DisplayPort or HDMI. Alternatively, click “Speakers” if you have connected the device via 3.5 mm audio and DVI or VGA.
How Do I Get Sound Out of My Monitor that Has No Speaker But A HDMI Connection?
To get sound out of your monitor without an HDMI connection, you should right-click your external devices’ options and choose the sound console’s audio port that has been wired via the HDMI channel.
It would help if you used an HDMI splitter to achieve the goal. You should also correctly connect all the wires and trigger the device’s sound.
No Audio Output on Monitor?
If you’ve followed the proper steps, but there is still no audio output on the monitor, ensure that the monitor has not been muted or the volume is deficient. If you have connected your system by VGA cable, check and ensure the AUDIO/LINE/HEADPHONE OUT port.
At the same time, make sure the port is plugged into the monitor’s AUDIO/LINE IN. For crosschecking, you can try a different personal computer or monitor speaker.
How to Connect Speakers to Monitor with AUX
To connect your speakers to the monitor, you’ll need to use an audio cable. On most monitors, there is an audio input labeled “aux.” This means it can take any audio (including video) and output it as a sound signal.
To connect your speakers to the aux input on your monitor, plug in the audio cable and press the appropriate button on your speaker. You can use either a 3.5 mm jack or an HDMI connector for this.
How to Connect External Speakers to A Computer
Step 1: Plug the sound cable with the black connectors into the computer’s Rear Speaker Out port.
Step 2: Connect the other end of the wire to the subwoofer’s black connector, which is located adjacent to the green port.
Step 3: Plug the audio cable with orange connectors into the computer’s orange Center or Digital Out port.
You can also purchase a speaker connector and an audio cable. The speaker connector will allow the speaker to be connected to the computer, while the audio cable will allow the sound from the speaker to be heard by the computer.
How to Connect Speakers to Monitor without Audio Jack
The most common way to connect speakers to a monitor is by using an HDMI input and a video output. However, there are other ways to do this as well.
You can use a Roku or other streaming device to connect the speakers and then use an HDMI cable from the receiver to the monitor. Alternatively, you can run an HDMI cable from the video output of the speakers to the monitor.
How to Connect Speakers to HP Monitor
To connect speakers to the HP monitor, you will need to use a 3.5mm audio cable. The audio jack on the monitor is perfect for connecting your headphones. You can then use the audio port to listen to your music or watch your videos.
How to Connect Speakers to Samsung Monitor
If you have a TV speaker and a Samsung monitor, you can use the TV speaker to listen to your music and watch your videos.
When you connect the two devices, you’ll be able to hear sound from both the TV speaker and the Samsung monitor.
To connect the speaker to the Samsung monitor, follow these steps:
Step 1: Navigate to Speaker Select and set it to TV Speaker.
Step 2: Connect the speaker to the Samsung monitor using the cable box or power cord.
If your monitor does not have inbuilt speakers and you want to get sound from it, use one of the above methods based on what is best for you. In most cases, you won’t need to purchase expensive devices or replace anything, one of these quick methods will surely solve this for you.