LG is a very popular TV brand, while TCL is gaining popularity as a trusted player in the marketplace. LG TVs are better than TCL in almost all categories. LG TVs offer better picture quality, better audio, and they are more durable. However, they are also more expensive.
Other comparisons in this series:
TCL vs LG
|Ports (HDMI, USB)
|DTS, Ultra Surround, Dolby Atmos, AI Sound Pro
|Mostly Dolby Atmos
|Overall Quality for the Price
TCL and LG are among the most popular TV manufacturers in the modern market, offering a wide assortment of smart 4K and Full HD TVs.
LG is a South Korean company best known for making quality TVs with exclusive smart features and exceptional quality.
TCL is a Chinese company with international appeal. Its affordable prices and entry-level models are partly responsible for its rising popularity worldwide. However, it can’t compete with LG in popularity.
TCL makes versatile TVs and offers a wide variety of smart features that are in high demand today.
– Some TVs have an ‘Auto Mode’ for gaming
– Some have an ‘iPQ Engine’ that corrects color inaccuracies
– Most TCL TVs offer picture-in-picture functions that allow easy side settings, multi-user accounts, and task switching
On the other hand, LG bases most of its TVs on the quad-core processor, which enhances color accuracy and picture quality, reduces motion blur, and minimizes video noise.
– Some LG TVs offer the ‘Filmmaker Mode’ that is designed to allow you to watch error-free content
– Most LG TVs also have ‘Airplay 2’ built-in, allowing casting content from Apple devices to the TV
– LG uses its own smart assistant, ‘ThinQ AI’, and also offers Alexa and Google Assistant compatibility
However, as we said earlier, TCL TVs are more affordable than LG TVs. They use cheaper technologies.
So, their overall image quality doesn’t hit OLED levels. LG uses the best technology, meaning their TVs offer outstandingly bright OLED pictures.
Cheaper LG TV models use LED backlighting, which guarantees quality brightness and image clarity. The costlier options use IPS displays that offer the widest viewing angles.
Many TCL TVs offer Dolby Vision support. It provides a cinematic experience and vivid colors. It also includes a Contrast Control Zones technology that optimizes image contrast across individual zones.
It’s important to note that no TV manufacturer offers exceptional built-in speakers that can provide the best sound without the aid of a quality external audio system or soundbar.
– Most LG TVs come with 2-channel 20W speakers. The manufacturer equips some of its more expensive models with DTS, Ultra Surround, and Dolby Atmos sound technologies.
– Some of the more advanced models from LG offer great sound features such as ‘AI Sound Pro’, which can automatically adjust the sound depending on the content you are watching and your listening needs.
– Most TCL TVs, on the other hand, use 16W speakers. In some cases, they come with Dolby Atmos support.
– In general, *most LG TVs have slightly more powerful sound systems than TCL.*
- Primarily operate on the Roku operating system, which is known for its simple interface.
- Provide access to numerous streaming applications.
- Use the WebOS interface tailored to work with ThinQ AI.
- Are compatible with popular streaming apps like Prime Video, Netflix, Disney, and Apple TV.
Both operating systems deliver an excellent viewing experience. However, due to its reliance on AI, WebOS can simplify the search for movies and TV shows, making it seemingly more efficient.
Both LG and TCL offer a variety of ports on their TVs. Here are the details:
- Some TVs come with fewer than 3 HDMI ports and one USB port.
- For TVs ranging from 43 to 70 inches:
- Three HDMI ports
- Two USB ports
- Larger models feature 4 HDMI ports.
- The number of LG TVs with 2 USB ports is rising, whereas TCL primarily includes one USB port.
- Some have the Full View design with extremely thin bezels.
- High-end models come with plastic frames.
- Most are supported by stable V-shaped stands.
- In terms of software, occasional issues may cause them to go into recovery mode or require a reset.
- Expensive models boast highly stable metal frames.
- Cheaper models come with smaller, less sturdy stands. Some even lack frames entirely.
There are significant pricing variations between LG and TCL TVs, influenced by the quality and features of the chosen model:
- LG TVs typically have a higher price point than TCL TVs due to their advanced technology.
- Those who prioritize premium quality and are willing to pay a premium should consider LG TVs.
- The average price of an LG TV varies from 500 USD to 800 USD.
- On average, TCL TVs are approximately 250 USD less expensive than LG TVs.
- High-end LG models can be 1,000 USD more expensive than their TCL counterparts.
LG Vs. TCL 32 Inch TV
We compare the LG 32LH518A and the TCL L32D2900 32-inch models to see why you should do due diligence when looking for a quality TV. The first one has one USB port and one HDMI port. The TCL model has two USB ports and two HDMI ports. As you can see, contrary to what many people believe, some TCL TVs have more connectivity features than some LG models.
LG Vs. TCL 55 Inch TV
Most LG TVs have more innovative features than TCL TVs. A good example is the LG 55UH650T, which comes with Apps and Gamers, Skype compatibility, Smart Remote, Web Browser, Facebook, Gesture Control, and Voice Control.
The TCL L55P1US 55-inch model has Apps and Games, Skype compatibility, Web Browser, and Facebook.
So, this LG model is the winner when it comes to innovative features.
LG Vs. TCL 43 Inch TV
Let’s compare the main features of LG and the TCL 43S525 and the LG 43UM7300PUA, to see which is the best fit for you. The TCL model offers Auto game mode, Google Assistant/Alexa compatibility, and Dolby Vision. Its 43-inch counterpart offers Active HDR, AirPlay 2, Ultra Surround sound, and ThinQ AI technology.
You can see that the LG 43UM7300PUA offers more exclusive, high-tech features than the TCL 43S525.
Does TCL Produce High-Quality TVs?
TCL is indeed a reputable TV manufacturer known for its high-quality products. The brand’s televisions come with excellent pictures, and diverse features, and are priced economically, making them a desirable choice for many customers.
Is LG Considered A Reliable TV Manufacturer?
Definitely! LG is viewed as a reliable manufacturer of TVs. They offer features and performance on par with other leading brands but usually carry a more affordable price tag compared to other luxury brands. They are also known for providing excellent customer service and high-grade products.
Can LG TV Synchronize with Google Home?
Not all LG TV models are designed to work with Google Home, but many recent ones possess this feature. Using the Google Home application, you can verify if your LG TV is compatible or not. Connecting your LG TV with a Google account will allow you to use voice commands to control your TV.
Does LG TV Work Perfectly With AirPlay?
Certainly, LG TVs work perfectly with AirPlay. This feature allows you to stream content from your iOS or Mac devices to your LG TV. However, for this to work, you need an Apple TV or an AirPlay-enabled receiver connected to your LG TV.
Can I Connect My iPhone to an LG TV?
Yes, iPhones can be connected to LG TVs.
LG vs. TCL: Conclusion
From this LG vs. TCL review, you can see that both TCL and LG TVs can offer decent 4K and HDR pictures. However, LG often offers a better experience when it comes to the operating system, sound quality, and the total number of inputs. On the other hand, TCL TVs are generally cheaper and may offer a better value for customers on a budget.