In this article, we will review the Klipsch SPL 120. It is a powered subwoofer that goes in line with a receiver to add much bass power to your home theatre system.
The Klipsch SPL 120 is a 2-way spherical speaker with a unique bandpass design. It has two 3″ woofers for the low end and a single 1″ midrange driver paired with a horn for the upper frequencies.
While its power handling is only around 100 Watts RMS, it does have a large sound pressure level of 108 dB at 1 Watt/1 meter. This gives it an excellent performance to price ratio.
Specifications of Klipsch SPL 120
The Klipsch SPL-120 are compact subwoofers that are usually found in cars. These subwoofers are used mainly to produce low frequencies to let the user experience high-quality sound. Below are some of the top features of Klipsch SPL 120
The Klipsch SPL-120 is a portable and compact subwoofer that can fit in any car. It comes with an enclosure made of polypropylene which allows the front part to be used as a bracket.
The product weighs 4 lbs and has dimensions of 10 inches, 0.4 inches wide, 13.25 inches, 0.8 inches long. This makes it very easy to carry, and installation is also a breeze as the enclosure has a design that allows for flush mounting to walls or ceilings.
Pricing and Budget
The Klipsch SPL-120 offers unmatched sound reproduction at an affordable price point of only 249 USD/EURO, depending on where it is bought.
- 12 inches long throw cerametallic woofer
- Maximum acoustic output 118dB
- 600 Watts
Some retailers even include shipping charges which offer value for money because shipping costs are high when purchasing from online stores.
Since this subwoofer was designed for car use, it can be assumed that it would have great features for car use, too.
Despite its compact size, the Klipsch SPL-120 has excellent quality considering its size. The sound quality is fantastic, and it does not produce too high of a noise level, making it great for indoor use.
This subwoofer from Klipsch already comes with an enclosure that can easily fit in any car. This means your options are limited when buying one since the only thing you have to look out for is compatibility with most head units.
Since there are 2 inputs and outputs, most head units will be compatible, and installation becomes more accessible and faster because less wiring is required.
The space needed by the Klipsch SPL-120 cannot be disregarded as compact as it may seem at first glance. This is because, despite their small size, these subwoofers create compelling sounds due to their inbuilt design.
Most cars do not have much space due to their compact designs. Therefore, Klipsch SPL-120 is the perfect choice for anyone who wants to install a subwoofer.
Though, it does not know how to balance sound quality with installation. This is because it can be installed anywhere in the car without taking too much space.
Advantages of Klipsch SPL 120
1. Excellent sound quality for its size – Klipsch is known to produce good-sounding speakers that pack a lot of punch, and the SPL-120 is no different.
2. Designed for simplicity & ease of use – The SPL-120 has a straightforward, minimalistic design, so you can hide it behind your TV or entertainment center without any unsightly wires poking out around the sides.
3. Easy carry handles – If you want to carry these speakers from one room to another, they’ve got a couple of easy carry handles located on each side that makes relocation quick and painless.
4. Built-in amplifier – The built-in amplifier powers both the woofer and the passive radiator (which is a type of bass-reflex design), making it possible for such a small speaker to produce such a big sound.
5. Excellent customer service – Klipsch headphones have quick and easy replacements, so there’s no reason to expect this kind of treatment won’t be given to their speakers as well.
6. Easy to install – You won’t need to hire an installation team or call up an exceptional artisan to get these speakers set up on your wall.
7. Portable – You can easily transport Klipsch speakers from place to place if you need them for an office party or some other temporary occasion.
8. High-quality materials – The SPL-120 speakers feature high-quality components like 5 woofers made out of recycled paper, 4″ tweeters made out of titanium and custom-grade crossover parts installed by hand.
9. Excellent customer service – If you have any problems with your speakers under warranty, you can contact their customer service team to schedule replacement parts like woofers and tweeters.
10. Built-in amplifier – The speaker’s built-in amplifier powers both the woofer and the passive radiator, making it possible for such a small speaker to produce such a big sound.
Disadvantages of Klipsch SPL 120
1. Sound leakage – From the review above, it seems like this is a common problem with almost all in-ears and other earphones (especially high-end models).
2. Noise Isolation – Another disappointing aspect of the product is noise isolation which is quite average and inferior to many other brands available in the market.
3. Poor Comfort – Although the product is lightweight, it fails to provide adequate comfort levels during long hours due to its rigid design, which does not allow much flexibility.
When buying budget speakers, the main thing one should keep in mind is their limitations in terms of distortion factors that generate unpleasant artifacts, the most crucial being cone breakup above 2500 Hz.
This can be heard clearly on Klipsch SPL 120 loudspeakers giving poor realistic sound presentation compared to other 2-way full-range speakers under $100/pair. Also, they have a hard time playing lower bass notes which drowns out their midbass region.
This is the best I can say about the little speakers.
They are not for everyone, but if you want a tiny speaker with high SPL and fantastic sound reproduction, look no further than the Klipsch SPL-120. The amps that power them aren’t audiophile-grade, but they get plenty loud and still play clean music.
Like all speakers, they have their place in a system or as part of an entire setup. Using these with a single amp has its advantages and disadvantages compared to bi-amping. Either way, you can’t go wrong. That’s all from me today now that I’ve had my fun with those little guys.