VoiceMeeter allows you to mix and manage any audio sources from or to any audio devices or applications. One of those applications is Discord which allows you to use VoIP for voice and video calls. One issue that normally pops up is persistent audio crackling from VoiceMeeter when using Discord.
The main issue that often causes crackling in Voicemetr when using Discord is incorrect Discord settings where you are using incorrect input and output devices. Other fixes may include restarting Voicemeter and Discord, reinstalling Discord, disabling Discord audio enhancements, and other technical settings like increasing the audio interface buffer size in VoiceMeeter.
Read on to learn more.
Who Uses VoiceMeeter And Discord?
VoiceMeeter is the first application to work as a virtual mixer managing every audio source and audio point. This unique application is designed to fit anyone willing to manage audio intelligently and remains essential if you need to output audio to more devices or applications.
On the other hand, Discord is a free voice, video, and text chat app used by people to talk and hang out with their friends. It is popular among gamers who prefer to communicate via online means. Gamers interact via online platforms and even compete against opponents on other consoles.
You will enjoy the combination of the two if you are a video gamer, disc jockey (DJ), musician, broadcaster, or sound lover.
How To Fix VoiceMeeter Crackling Discord
In some instances, VoiceMeeter can develop sound problems such as cuts, stutters, crackles (commonly known as ‘popcorn sound’), or even a robotic voice; this can be after hours of perfect audio.
Nonetheless, you can still fix VoiceMeeter crackling Discord! We have described a suitable method to perform the fix below. However, before attempting the fix, the following assumptions are made:
- all the sound is channeled through the VoiceMeeter, and no sound is going to physical I/O,
- the only other applications involved are one physical microphone device, a physical speaker device and Discord, and
- you are using a VoiceMeeter and Discord, and the VoiceMeeter version is either potato or banana. The DIY procedure we have described, however, applies to both versions.
To fix VoiceMeeter crackling Discord, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Restart the VoiceMeeter and the Discord Completely
Restarting the audio engine can fix sound or audio problems with a single command. It is advisable to use this command if the audio stops or is distorted.
This might be caused by another active program using the audio system and blocking the VoiceMeeter from using it. You can also reboot the computer to ensure you close all the active programs.
Step 2: Follow the Troubleshooting Steps in the Linked resources
This will help to stop any related problems associated with connected devices.
Step 3: Re-install Discord on your computer to allow it to run a fresh
Re-installing Discord gives you the advantage of getting the most up-to-date drivers and eliminates problems in the earlier version.
Step 4: Turn off any sound enhancements associated with Discord
Disable the following
- Noise suppression
- Echo noise
- Noise reduction
Step 5: Do not put many input devices; spread them out among all the existing audio interfaces
This will ensure you are not overloading an individual audio interface and causing the VoiceMeeter to crackle.
Step 6: Ensure the audio frequency is the same across all the inputs and outputs
Set all the components to the same frequency. The most commonly used frequency is 44100 and 48000 Hz
Step 7: Increase the user interface to buffer size depending on the interface you are using
If this is the cause of the crackling, you will hear it outside Discord. Changing the buffers allows one to identify the right software to work with.
You may then be able to increase the latency with the VBCABLE_control panel app installed with VoiceMeeter (there is one control panel for each audio cable – used as virtual audio I/O by VoiceMeeter).
Step 8: Increase the internal buffer of the virtual audio cable
After installation, ensure you check the driver name field and set the maximum latency to a higher value, higher than the default value, 7168.
- Open Virtual 10 Control Panel for the virtual cable you are routing to the Discord by giving it administrator rights
- Confirm the Driver Name to ensure you have opened the right installation
- Set the Max Latency to a higher value, at least 3 times that of devices that will be routed to the cable
Step 9: Change the quality of the audio stream going to the Discord
You can do this by:
- Entering the sound settings through the control panel
- Open [properties of virtual cable routed to the Discord
- Decreasing the default normal under the advanced settings (you can use 1 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz for Discord but use a higher value for everything else)
- Applying the changes to your computer (ignore the windows warning)
- Ensuring the main sound of windows is open to note the changes
- Now restart the Discord
- Repeating this every time you reboot your computer
Why Does My VoiceMeeter Crackle?
One of the main reasons for the crackling of VoiceMeeters is poor installation. When the audio drivers are not correctly installed, then there lacks a stable stream of sound. Poor installation may not necessarily be due to negligence or ignorance. Instead, it is due to a lack of knowledge.
The recommended procedure to re-install VoiceMeeter drivers the right way is as follows:
- Unplug all USB devices before rebooting
- De-install VB CABLE one by one before rebooting
- De-install VoiceMeeter and reboot
- Ensure the remaining audio devices are functioning correctly
- Ensure there is no presence of our virtual audio driver located in the Windows Device Manager (in both sections: multimedia controller and audio output and input)
- Re-install VB CABLE and VoiceMeeter one by one
- Re-connect USB devices once everything is installed. Check for your recording device and your default playback.
- Run VoiceMeeter and check for any contradicting option.
It is important to ensure that you embark on rebooting your computer after you are done with the audio driver installation (or installation after you have de-installed it). After successful re-installation, ensure you re-plug your USB audio device. The audio should be running correctly.
Discord Audio Crackling When Playing Games
Sound problems can occur when you are playing games due to several reasons. However, you can fix the issues by adjusting your audio format, ensuring your audio drivers are up to date, or removing hardware devices interfering with your sound.
Also, consider checking if the cable connection is loose and ensure all your audio cables are safely connected before hitting the settings button.
Discord Mic Crackling Focusrite
You can customarily fix this by changing the server region to where the sound is clear. You can resolve this issue from a Discord side.
It is common with people who own Focusrite (usually the 2i2), giving them a crackling sound.
Vb Audio Cable Crackling
Audio signals, when passed through virtual cables, may end up distorted. This can be due to buffering problems in audio applications. To solve this problem, consider the following:
- Use a lower CPU load than the one you are currently using
- Try to stop unnecessary applications from running
- Increase the buffering time in the audio application
VoiceMeeter Sounds Bad In Discord
If you happen to hear a popcorn sound (crackling sound) in your Discord, confirm the problem you are facing is in Discord. Ensure that your input and output are correctly set, and then perform a mic test once again.
Discord Stream Audio Crackling
This static Discord noise occurs if the default output device is not configured correctly. Keep updating the device driver, set the default recording device, or re-install the app to fix it.