Last Updated on: 4th May 2022, 04:31 am
If you want your Sony Bravia TV to sound much better than it does right now, you should connect it to high-quality external speakers. The process of doing this is simple. In this article, we show you how to connect external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV.
Let’s dive into all the details you need to connect them.
How Do I Connect External Speakers to My Sony Bravia TV?
There are a few effective and easy ways that you can use to connect your external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV without any issue. To choose the best one, you should consider the type of your connection ports.
Your TV’s operating system can also influence your choice to some degree. Please note that the Android OS powers all Sony Bravia TVs introduced between 2015 and 2021. Google OS powers the latest arrival.
Here are efficient ways you can connect your external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV with ease:
1. Use the ARC Feature
You should opt for this method if your TV supports the ARC feature. Most Sony Bravia TVs that support it come with HDMI ports labeled ‘ARC.’ You can also consult your user manual to find out whether it’s supported.
If the product supports this feature, you can establish an HDMI connection by following the steps below.
- Connect your HDMI cable to the port that supports ARC.
- Go to the Sony Bravia TV menu and set “Speakers” to “Audio System.”
The exact steps you should follow largely depend on your television’s OS. Since most Sony Bravia TVs are Android-powered, let’s look at how you can change this setting on Android TVs below.
1.Press the “Home” button on your TV’s remote control.
2. Select the “Settings” icon.
3. Finally, select “Display & Sound,” → “Audio output,” → “Speakers,” → “Audio system.”
- If your TV doesn’t have the above menu options, you should select ”Sound,” → “Speakers,” → “Audio system.”
- You can also consult your product manual if a different OS powers your television. Since all of them are Sony Bravia TV, the steps will always be almost the same as those shown above.
- Turn on your TV’s “Control for HDMI” setting.
These are the three steps you need to follow to start hearing sound through your external speakers if it supports the ARC feature.
2. Use an HDMI, Optical Digital, Coaxial Digital, or Audio Cable
If your HDMI ports don’t support ARC, this is the best alternative. You need to purchase any jack that’s not available and then proceed to the following steps:
- Connect your cable to your TV’s “Audio Output jack.”
- After that, connect the remaining end of the cable to the corresponding jack or your home theater system or receiver (The audio output should be labeled either “VIDEO INPUT” or “TV INPUT”).
- Power on the television.
- Follow the steps in the above sub-section to set “Speakers” to “Audio System” if you’re using an optical digital cable.
- If the TV has the “Audio out” setting, set it to “Variable” or “Fixed.”
- Turn on your home theater system and set it to the right input.
How Do I Know if My Sony Bravia TV is Android?
As we’ve seen, you need this information to connect your external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV successfully. To find out whether your TV uses Android and the operating system’s version, here are the steps you should follow:
- On your supplied remote control, press the “Home” button.
- Select the “Settings” icon.
- Follow one of the steps below, depending on your TV menu options:
- Select “About”-“Version.”
- Choose “Device Preference –“About”-“Version.”
You can also know whether you have an android TV by looking at the OS field on the model specification page. It’s an Android TV if you see “Android” listed in the Software.
Other than that, you can go to the “Home” screen menu. If you find a “Clock” or “Settings” icon displayed on the screen, it’s likely Android.
You can use a combination of these methods if the last one doesn’t give you the perfect answer.
What If I Don’t Have A Receiver?
If you don’t have a receiver, there are a few ways to connect your external speakers just the same. Check out our article on how to connect a TV to external speakers without a receiver.
How Do I Know if My Sony Bravia TV is Google?
Since Sony introduced Sony Bravia TVs that are powered by a new operating system known as “Google” in early 2021, there’s a chance you own a Google TV. This applies if you bought it recently. It would be best to verify this to choose the right means to connect your external speakers to it.
Here’s how you can know whether you have a Google TV:
- Press the “Home” button on the supplied remote control (this helps you to access your “Home Screen” screen.
- Check the screen’s bottom. If you see the “Google TV” display, you can tell the new operating system powers the device.
If that’s the case, you’ll see the “Google TV” display on the upper left when you sign in to the TV. If you go to the upper right corner, you should also see a Google account icon. Moreover, you can access the dashboard by clicking it.
The Google TV’s “Home” menu screen is similar to Android’s “Home” menu screen. The only difference is that there’s no Google account icon on Android TV’s screen. Instead, you find a “Clock” or “Settings” icon displayed on the screen.
Where is the Audio Output on a Sony Bravia TV?
If your Bravia TV doesn’t output sound through the Digital Audio Output, you should adjust the audio output settings.
For Google TV or Android TVs, you should do the following to locate and adjust the audio settings:
- Press the “Home” button or “Quick Settings” button on the remote control.
- Select the “Settings” icon.
- Choose “Sound,” “Display & Sound,” or “BRAVIA Settings” under the “TV” category.
- Select “Audio Output,” if applicable.
- Opt for “Digital audio out → PCM.”
Can I Connect External Speakers Directly to My Sony Bravia TV?
No, while you have multiple ways to connect external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV, the direct method is not one of them. If you want the easiest and most effective methods, you can revisit how to use the ARC Feature or an HDMI, Optical Digital, Coaxial Digital, or Audio Cable.
If you want to know why you can’t connect external speakers to your TVs’ directly, the simple answer is that they don’t provide speaker outs that can drive speakers without an amplifier that properly powers them.
Of course, that means you can use your Sony Bravia TV’s audio output to connect it to your self-powered speakers directly.
How To Connect External Speakers To Tv Without Audio Output
It is common to find TVs that do not have audio outputs, especially with the emergence of HDMI ports. Here are some methods to connect your external speakers to that type of Tv.
- Use TOSLINK cables – plug each end of the cable into the two systems to connect your speakers. Remember, you can use this cable to build a 5.2 surround sound system.
- HDMI Switcher Box – connect one end of the HDMI cable to the Tv and the other to the HDMI switcher box. Now connect the speakers to the switcher box using the available RCA outputs. This method is more advantageous as you can link several devices to the Tv using just one HDMI input.
- Using 3.5mm Headphone Jacks – even modern TVs come with 3.5mm audio jacks initially intended for connecting headphones. You can use the jacks to connect speakers. However, the speakers will not be able to deliver the best sound experience, and you may need to replace them with speakers that come with subwoofers for optimal performance.
- Using audio-out of your set-top box – If you use DVD or Blue-ray players, you can use the HDMI or TOSLINK outputs to create a Tv and speaker system. Link the RCA for outputting audio and the HDMI for delivering video to your speakers.
How To Connect 5.1 Speakers To Sony Bravia Led TV
Method 1: HDMI Connection With ARC Mechanism
Step 1: Connect the HDMI cord to the specific ARC ports.
Step 2: Setup the speakers to your audio system by pressing the HOME function on your remote and selecting Settings, Display and Sound, Audio output, Speakers, and then Audio system.
Step 3: Power ON the HDMI controller setting for both external speakers and Tv.
Method 2: Analog Audio Connection With Audio Cable
Step 1: Connect audio cable, Coaxial Digital Cable, or Optical Digital Cable to the audio output port of your Tv.
Step 2: Link the other end of the cable to the specific ports on the stereo system.
Step 3: Power on the TV and set the speaker to your audio system.
Step 4: Set the TV audio to your preferred setting and switch on your home theater to externalize the Sound of your Sony Bravia Tv.
Sony Bravia Audio Output
You can locate the Sony Bravia TV output on the remote control by tapping the HOME button. Select Settings and choose Preferences followed by Setup, AV Setup, Headphone/Audio out, and Audio out.
Sony Bravia Optical Audio Output
To access this setting:
- Press HOME on your remote control and choose Settings.
- Choose Sound, followed by Display & Sound, or BRAVIA Settings.
- Choose either Audio output or Digital Audio out depending on which one is displayed and set to PCM.
- Ensure your Tv has been updated to the latest software or replace the optical cable for best performance.
How To Connect Speakers To TV With Speaker Wire
Assemble the accompanying devices that you need to complete the connection and follow the steps below:
Step 1: Link the speaker wires to the speakers through the speaker terminals.
Step 2: Connect the speaker wire to the amplifier or AV receiver.
Step 3: Complete the connection by wiring the amplifier or AV receiver to the Tv using appropriate cables and adapters where necessary.
How To Connect Surround Sound To Tv Without HDMI
There are many ways to complete this connection. If your Tv is modern, you can use Bluetooth, 3.5mm AUX cable, RCA, or any auxiliary device that can convert the coaxial cable to another kind of connection. Just be a little creative and choose one link that gives you a better sound experience.
Now you can see you’ve several ways to connect external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV to make it sound much better. We’ve chosen the easiest and most effective methods that you can use, whether you are tech-savvy or not. So, to start the journey, consider whether the TV supports ARC and use that to choose the right method to connect it to your external speakers.
My name is Norvan Martin. I am an Electronics Engineer by profession. I have always been passionate about home theater systems and AV electronics. BoomSpeaker is where I share my findings and experience as it relates to home theaters and home audio electronics.