If you want your Sony Bravia TV to sound much better than it does right now, you should connect it to high-quality external speakers. The process of doing this is simple. In this article, we show you how to connect external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV.
Let’s dive into all the details you need to connect them.
How Do I Connect External Speakers to My Sony Bravia TV?
There are a few effective and easy ways that you can use to connect your external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV without any issue. To choose the best one, you should consider the type of your connection ports.
Your TV’s operating system can also influence your choice to some degree. Please note that the Android OS powers all Sony Bravia TVs introduced between 2015 and 2021. Google OS powers the latest arrival.
Here are efficient ways you can connect your external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV with ease:
1. Use the ARC Feature
You should opt for this method if your TV supports the ARC feature. Most Sony Bravia TVs that support it come with HDMI ports labeled ‘ARC.’ You can also consult your user manual to find out whether it’s supported.
If the product supports this feature, you can establish an HDMI connection by following the steps below.
- Connect your HDMI cable to the port that supports ARC.
- Go to the Sony Bravia TV menu and set “Speakers” to “Audio System.”
The exact steps you should follow largely depend on your television’s OS. Since most Sony Bravia TVs are Android-powered, let’s look at how you can change this setting on Android TVs below.
1.Press the “Home” button on your TV’s remote control.
2. Select the “Settings” icon.
3. Finally, select “Display & Sound,” → “Audio output,” → “Speakers,” → “Audio system.”
- If your TV doesn’t have the above menu options, you should select ”Sound,” → “Speakers,” → “Audio system.”
- You can also consult your product manual if a different OS powers your television. Since all of them are Sony Bravia TV, the steps will always be almost the same as those shown above.
- Turn on your TV’s “Control for HDMI” setting.
These are the three steps you need to follow to start hearing sound through your external speakers if it supports the ARC feature.
2. Use an HDMI, Optical Digital, Coaxial Digital, or Audio Cable
If your HDMI ports don’t support ARC, this is the best alternative. You need to purchase any jack that’s not available and then proceed to the following steps:
- Connect your cable to your TV’s “Audio Output jack.”
- After that, connect the remaining end of the cable to the corresponding jack or your home theater system or receiver (The audio output should be labeled either “VIDEO INPUT” or “TV INPUT”).
- Power on the television.
- Follow the steps in the above sub-section to set “Speakers” to “Audio System” if you’re using an optical digital cable.
- If the TV has the “Audio out” setting, set it to “Variable” or “Fixed.”
- Turn on your home theater system and set it to the right input.
How Do I Know if My Sony Bravia TV is Android?
As we’ve seen, you need this information to connect your external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV successfully. To find out whether your TV uses Android and the operating system’s version, here are the steps you should follow:
- On your supplied remote control, press the “Home” button.
- Select the “Settings” icon.
- Follow one of the steps below, depending on your TV menu options:
- Select “About”-“Version.”
- Choose “Device Preference –“About”-“Version.”
You can also know whether you have an android TV by looking at the OS field on the model specification page. It’s an Android TV if you see “Android” listed in the Software.
Other than that, you can go to the “Home” screen menu. If you find a “Clock” or “Settings” icon displayed on the screen, it’s likely Android.
You can use a combination of these methods if the last one doesn’t give you the perfect answer.
What If I Don’t Have A Receiver?
If you don’t have a receiver, there are a few ways to connect your external speakers just the same. Check out our article on how to connect a TV to external speakers without a receiver.
How Do I Know if My Sony Bravia TV is Google?
Since Sony introduced Sony Bravia TVs that are powered by a new operating system known as “Google” in early 2021, there’s a chance you own a Google TV. This applies if you bought it recently. It would be best to verify this to choose the right means to connect your external speakers to it.
Here’s how you can know whether you have a Google TV:
- Press the “Home” button on the supplied remote control (this helps you to access your “Home Screen” screen.
- Check the screen’s bottom. If you see the “Google TV” display, you can tell the new operating system powers the device.
If that’s the case, you’ll see the “Google TV” display on the upper left when you sign in to the TV. If you go to the upper right corner, you should also see a Google account icon. Moreover, you can access the dashboard by clicking it.
The Google TV’s “Home” menu screen is similar to Android’s “Home” menu screen. The only difference is that there’s no Google account icon on Android TV’s screen. Instead, you find a “Clock” or “Settings” icon displayed on the screen.
Where is the Audio Output on a Sony Bravia TV?
If your Bravia TV doesn’t output sound through the Digital Audio Output, you should adjust the audio output settings.
For Google TV or Android TVs, you should do the following to locate and adjust the audio settings:
- Press the “Home” button or “Quick Settings” button on the remote control.
- Select the “Settings” icon.
- Choose “Sound,” “Display & Sound,” or “BRAVIA Settings” under the “TV” category.
- Select “Audio Output,” if applicable.
- Opt for “Digital audio out → PCM.”
Can I Connect External Speakers Directly to My Sony Bravia TV?
No, while you have multiple ways to connect external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV, the direct method is not one of them. If you want the easiest and most effective methods, you can revisit how to use the ARC Feature or an HDMI, Optical Digital, Coaxial Digital, or Audio Cable.
If you want to know why you can’t connect external speakers to your TVs’ directly, the simple answer is that they don’t provide speaker outs that can drive speakers without an amplifier that properly powers them. Of course, that means you can use your Sony Bravia TV’s audio output to connect it to your self-powered speakers directly.
Now you can see you’ve several ways to connect external speakers to your Sony Bravia TV to make it sound much better. We’ve chosen the easiest and most effective methods that you can use, whether you are tech-savvy or not. So, to start the journey, consider whether the TV supports ARC and use that to choose the right method to connect it to your external speakers.