We admit it. We didn’t have much faith in the Eton Rukus and its “solar powered” bravado when we got our hands on it. So…we basically almost swallowed our tongues when the thing worked and sounded better than some of the other “bigger” names on the market. We got ours off of Amazon for a great price and after reading this review, we hope you’ll take advantage of it as well.
The Eton Rukus is the real deal. It’s a solar powered Bluetooth speaker that is a music playing, 0utdoor, ruggedized, phone-charging, beast!
- Rugged and IPX-4 splashproof
- Wirelessly connect to any Bluetooth enabled device
- USB smartphone charger
- Solar charging panel
- Lithium battery gives the Eton Rukus 8 hours of play time and fully charges in less than 5 hours in direct sunlight
- Micro-USB charges in 2.5 hours via AC power
- Aux-in for use with non-Bluetooth devices (cable not in the box. Get one here!)
- Blue LED indicates Bluetooth on and Red LED indicates unit is charging
- Loops for strapping to backpack and taking it with you where ever
You can take the Eton Rukus anywhere...as long as there’s sun…and play music all day long. We used it at the beach and it was quick to power up and stay powered up. We did have an issue of power after charging it for only 15 minutes (but, yeah, we’re impatient) but after 45 minutes of charge time in the sun we were able to keep it playing all day.
We were able to keep our devices paired for up to about 40 feet but we may be off a bit because we were trying to measure while at the beach…still, we’re sure it’s pretty close to between 38 and 42 feet range which is great range particularly for a solar powered speaker.
The only issue that we have with theEton Rukus is the water resistancy. There are silicone flaps for the ports that fit securely but it is, at best, splash proof. This can be a concern for kayakers, etc although we feel that speaker will be fine in some light rain/sprinkles. However, don’t let it sit in the rain for more than a minute or two.
Lastly, we love the design and rugged make of Eton Rukus. All in all, this is the perfect Bluetooth speaker to make your companion poolside or mountainside, hiking or camping.