Table of Contents
- 1 How Do I Connect My Amazon Echo To My Stereo Receiver? Step by Step
- 2 What Does Amazon Echo Do?
- 3 Is It Possible To Connect My Speakers To Alexa Without An Echo?
- 4 Can I Connect Alexa To My Onkyo Receiver?
- 5 Does Onkyo TX NR696 Work With Alexa?
- 6 How Do I Set Up My Onkyo Receiver?
- 7 Can I connect Alexa To My Surround Sound?
- 8 Pair Alexa With Onkyo Receiver
- 9 Connect Amazon Echo To Denon Receiver
- 10 How To Hook Up An Echo To A Vintage Stereo
Getting an Amazon Echo is an easy way to get play streaming music on your existing speaker system. It’s a good way to set up your own home theater system using your Echo, your receiver and your surround speakers. In this article, we explain how you can connect your Amazon Echo to your Onkyo receiver.
To connect your Amazon Echo to your Onkyo receiver, you can connect via the 3.5 mm output using a 3.5mm to analog adapter. You can also connect via Bluetooth using Alexa. Just activate the receiver’s Bluetooth scan feature and connect by saying “Connect Bluetooth” and Echo will connect to the receiver.
Let get into further details.
How Do I Connect My Amazon Echo To My Stereo Receiver? Step by Step
Let’s now look at the best way to connect your Amazon Echo to Onkyo Receiver. We shall discuss the two commonly used methods – analog and Bluetooth.
1. Analog Connection (Connecting Via Audio In)
This is the simplest way to connect your Amazon Echo to your Onkyo receiver through the 3.5mm audio port (headphone port) on your device. Please note that this method only works with Echo devices with an audio jack.
With an Echo Dot or any of the Echo 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation speakers, you can use 3.5 mm to RCA adapter to wire to the RCA input port available on your Onkyo receiver. You can get an adapter on Amazon like the Amazon Basics 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA Adapter. Here is how you can perform the connection.
- Find a 3.5mm audio adapter jack to plug into RCA
- Turn off your stereo receiver (Onkyo receiver)
- Plug it into any of the RCA inputs available on the receiver, like DVD, Tape or AUX. Don’t be bothered with what really the label says, as long as you can remember which input you have plugged it into.
- When you are ready to stream Echo audio through the Onkyo receiver, switch the receiver to the appropriate input.
- Set the input signal to analog.
2. Bluetooth Connection
Setting up your Amazon Echo device to connect to the Onkyo receiver can also be done through a Bluetooth connection.
Ensure that the Onkyo receiver you are using is Bluetooth-enabled. This should not be an issue as most modern receivers come with Bluetooth connectivity.
Begin by setting up the receiver using the Alexa app. Activate Bluetooth scan on the Onkyo receiver, then go to the Alexa device in the app and tap on Bluetooth. Once the receiver is set up, just say “Connect Bluetooth” and Amazon Echo will connect to the receiver.
To be precise, follow the steps below to connect the Onkyo receiver to Amazon Echo using the Alexa app.
- Set your Bluetooth speaker to pairing mode by tapping on the Bluetooth icon on the Alex app
- In the app, select the devices option and choose your Echo
- On the next menu, select the Bluetooth devices option, then select “Pair a New Device”
- You should see a menu list of available devices, from which you will select your Bluetooth speaker
- Once you have set it up as above mentioned, tap on “Connect Bluetooth”
- Echo will then connect to the last Bluetooth device
What Does Amazon Echo Do?
Amazon Echo is a smart speaker that responds to voice commands using Alexa as its artificially intelligent personal assistant.
Basically, all the Amazon Echo models are capable of answering questions, command smart home devices, research the internet, and even stream music. Alexa skills are the Alexa equivalent of a Smartphone app.
Amazon Echo speakers are therefore different from other speakers because you can easily talk to them, and they will listen.
Echo can “hear” you because it has microphones built into it – even if there is background music playing, it can still “hear” you.
Is It Possible To Connect My Speakers To Alexa Without An Echo?
Amazon has made an Echo input device for you that enables the functionality of Echo without adding another speaker in your house.
This gadget that requires no speakers connects to your existing speaker system via Audio In or Bluetooth. With a tiny profile for easy hiding, Echo Input is perfect for minimalists who want a home assistant.
Thus, owing to the preceding simple, precise explanation, it is very possible to connect your speaker to Alexa without an Echo
Can I Connect Alexa To My Onkyo Receiver?
In order to connect Alexa to your Onkyo receiver, you need to install an updated version of the latest controller app for Onkyo receiver on an iOS or Android device on the same network as your product.
To do this successfully, select the product to be used on each app, tap the “Amazon Alexa” icon from NET (NETWORK),” and follow the onscreen prompts. Therefore, yes, you can connect Alexa to your Onkyo receiver.
You really shouldn’t worry if you have purchased an Okyo receiver. The brand is very popular and its receivers are rather powerful. check out our article on Marantz vs Onkyo receivers for example.
Does Onkyo TX NR696 Work With Alexa?
According to a firmware update by Onkyo and Pioneer Corporation, select Onkyo and Pioneer network components will have Amazon Alexa voice control enabled.
These components include Onkyo AV receivers such as TX-NR696 and TX-RZ740 and Pioneer AV receivers such as SC-LX704 and VSX-LX304.
Therefore, Onkyo TX-NR696 works with Alexa and can play compatible streaming services such as Amazon Prime Music with Amazon Echo hands-free.
How Do I Set Up My Onkyo Receiver?
Setting up your own home theatre can be incredibly rewarding, for it provides an experience close to, if not better than going to the cinema.
For purposes of understanding the process involved, we shall make references to Onkyo TX – NR676.
- Document a list of all the devices you require to get connected. While it may prove unreasonable at first, it will keep things organized, making it an invaluable step.
- Draw a sketch diagram – After listing the devices to use, you can draw a simple ‘map’ indicating where each part is, where it goes and how it connects.
- Prepare your power outlets: these can fall into the following categories;
- Outlet Duplicator / Power Strip – very low cost with minimal, if any, protection
- Surge Protectors – average cost, providing decent protection to your devices.
- Power Conditioners – very high cost, proving not only decent protection but also minimizes power fluctuations introduced to your equipment.
- Carry out networking – most home theatre equipment has the ability to connect to your home network, and provide content from the internet. Make sure you have the cables like the Ethernet cable properly connected to the Ethernet port on the back of the Internet-enabled device.
- Connect each of your speakers to the receiver using standard, 2-wire cables. Please pay attention to positive and negative markings on each speaker wire.
- Plug one end of the HDMI cable into the back of your TV, while the other end of the cable should be connected to the receiver. If necessary, connect a digital optical cable to the back of your TV (optical out), and the other end to your receiver (optical in).
- Connect the coax cable from your premium television provider to your cable or satellite decoder.
- Connect each of your sources (Blue-ray, cable box, game console, etc.) to the appropriate connector on the back of your receiver
- The Onkyo TX-NR676 has a non-removable power cable attached to the rear. Connect this cable to your power management device. Connect all other devices to your power management device as well.
- Test all the devices.
Can I connect Alexa To My Surround Sound?
You can easily connect Alexa (using the Amazon Echo or Tap) to surround sound by opening the Alexa app and selecting devices. Once the app is open, tap on the Plus icon and choose “Set Up Audio System.” To make the process much easier, ensure you have a smart TV that is compatible with Alexa to prevent any possible lag.
Pair Alexa With Onkyo Receiver
The process is simple if you are still wondering whether you can pair Alexa with an Onkyo receiver. Whether you want to do this analog or use Bluetooth, follow the steps described above to connect Amazon Echo to the stereo receiver.
Connect Amazon Echo To Denon Receiver
Step 1: Download the Alexa app and sign up with your Amazon account.
Step 2: Set up your Amazon Alexa device on the same Wi-Fi network as your HEOS-enabled device.
Step 3: Go to the app and choose the Home icon available on the bottom right-hand corner. Click “+” on the top right-hand corner and select “Add Device,” “Speaker,” and “Other.”
Step 4: Finally, click “Discover Devices.”
The app should now discover and connect to your Denon receiver.
How To Hook Up An Echo To A Vintage Stereo
To achieve this connection with your vintage stereo, go through the “Analog connection” described above.