Table of Contents
Do you want to upgrade your current home theater system so you can have a movie-like experience without having to leave your house? While receiver manufacturers make a number of high-end devices with a plethora of added accessories, we choose to focus on more affordable options in order to help customers select the top affordable AV receivers.
A device like this can connect all of your video and audio sources into a single central hub without breaking the bank.
The products in this article have been carefully reviewed to ensure you get the 5 best receivers at the most budget-friendly price.
Below are the top Dolby Atmos receivers:
Top 3 Picks
1. Best Performance: Pioneer VSX LX 503 9.2 Channel 4k Ultra HD Network AV Receiver
The Pioneer VSX LX503 AV Receiver comes with a built-in Chromecast. This allows for a wide range of control over the audio output through the use of Dolby Atmos applications on smartphones or computers. This also comes with a voice control feature that functions over google assistant.
This receiver has a multi-channel acoustic calibration control (MCACC) for delivering an automatic adjustment system.
It also has an auto room tuning feature for getting the best audio channel set for different rooms. This feature is for ease of use and precision tuning. The Pioneer VSX LX503 AV Receiver comes equipped with support for:
- Dolby U-Surround
- Dolby Atmos
- DTS X
- And DTS neutral X.
- Support voice control features
- Supports MCACC auto room tuning feature
- Can easily play over different audio formats
- Complicated 3D set-up
- Does not support media playing via USB
- Requires additional Bluetooth transmitter to connect to Bluetooth headphones.
2. The Best all-rounder for Digital and Vinyl Heads: Denon S650H AV Receiver 5.2 Channel 4K UHD Sound
The Denon S650H AVR is a new model from the Denon AVR S-series with improved features from the past receiver series.
It comes equipped with features such as Apple AirPlay 2 support, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity, e-ARC, and a Home Entertainment Operating System Multi-Room support. The HEOS multi-room support allows you to play music from anywhere in your house through your smartphone.
Aside from the HEOS multi-room support, the Denon S650H AVR also comes with voice control support for Siri, Alexa, and others.
This S-series receiver has an HDMI switcher that can deliver up to 4k video display including a host of other latest video formats. It also has a CEC support port for smart TVs.
- Supports many streaming platforms and internet radio.
- Allows for turntable connection through phono input.
- Has separate balance, bass, and treble tuning.
- It is fragile because of its plastic body.
- Might get really hot after a few hours.
- Makes strange noises every time it is powered on.
3. Best Mid-range A/V Model: Onkyo TX-SR393 5.2 Channel A/V Receiver
Onkyo is one of the most affordable AV receivers – at least in the lineup of Onkyo receivers. It was an improvement to the previously released SR-373. Hence, one of the major upgrades of the SR393 is the soft modern look.
The Onkyo TX-SR393 is a 5-channel receiver that comes with a special Dolby Atmos Height Visualizer and DTS Virtual.
This is a receiver with a strong signal output strength that can transmit high-definition displays, such as 4K UHD, HLG, HDR10, and Dolby Vision. It comes equipped with 4 HDMI input and 1 output.
An interesting feature of the TX-SR393 is the Accu EQ room calibration. This feature fine-tunes all the speakers connected to the home theater system to produce harmonious Hi-Fi sound at a budget-friendly price.
- Sleek and modern design
- Delivers crystal clear sound
- Fast and strong Bluetooth connectivity.
- Lacks phono input for turntable hookup
- Lacks Wi-Fi connectivity
- Does not support internet streaming
4. Best For Bookshelf Speakers and Home Use: Receptor Sony STRDH590 5.2 multicanal, 4k HDVR AV
Sony STR DH590 is an AV receiver that can help you boost the output experience of your media devices.
It has a range of wireless connectivity that makes it easy to enjoy and control the audio experience from any part of your house. But the most important of all this is the fact that this AV Receiver is amazingly budget-friendly.
The STR DH590 comes with unique features such as a 4K HDR pass-through, Dolby Vision, and Custom Surround Sound. It uses these features to deliver high-definition video and audio without too much price weight.
It also supports both wired and wireless connections which produce flawless quality. The Sony STR-DH590 AV Receiver is a good buy with a sleek design, budget-friendly price, and latest features support.
- Comes with a customizable sound configuration.
- Delivers crisp and crystal clear speaker sound.
- Ease of setup and mounting.
- Strangely shuts off at high volume due to system overload.
- Overheats because of poor ventilation.
- Buttons and menus are not properly labeled.
5. Best Entry Level AVR: Denon AVR-S540BT Receiver
The Denon AVR S540BT is another AV receiver with Dolby Atmos that anyone on a budget can easily turn to. It has the latest features that support a lot of devices which makes using it interestingly easier.
Some of the notable supports include the HLG technologies, Dolby Vision, 4K up-scaling, and HDR10. All of this makes it easier to enjoy a cinematic experience in the comfort of your room.
The AVR S540BT receiver comes with a USB connectivity port for connecting devices and listening to music with the best quality.
Also, it comes with easy guideline prompts that help you with on-screen setup. There are many things to love about the AVR S540BT, but most important are the portability, ease of use, and is reasonably priced.
- Easy to set up.
- Delivers loud and clear sound simultaneously.
- It has good sound quality at both low and high volumes.
- It does not support wi-fi connectivity.
- Poor remote volume control
Best Overall Budget Dolby Atmos Receiver: Sony STR-DH790 7.2-Channel Surround Sound Home Theater AV Receiver
This receiver easily takes the lead as the best choice for the selection of budget-priced AV receivers with Dolby Atmos.
This AV receiver could boast of many things, but one of the most important of them is the price. It has seven channels through which it produces high-definition video and audio.
The Sony STR dh790 has Bluetooth connectivity that allows users to easily turn on the receiver from any part of the house using a tablet or smartphone.
It uses a 4K pass-through function to maintain the quality of image production and excellent graphic detail. The receiver has a 7.2 channel surround speaker system with an e-ARC feature for producing the best audio formats, such as DTS-x and Dolby Atmos.
- Supports up to 4K pass-through
- Can easily decode advanced features such as Atmos
- Has a good e-ARC function
Why Get A Dolby Atmos Receiver?
The Dolby Atmos is a sound enhancement and full cinematic experience technology. It gives a better home space-specific sound delivery by using sound technology to map the room, which delivers the best sound.
It uses a technique known as height data which controls all the speakers, telling them where the sound should focus and how it should be delivered.
You will enjoy the sound more from this setup because all the speakers know how far they are from you and how well they need to deliver sound to you.
What is Needed For Dolby Atmos?
To enjoy the best experience using Dolby Atmos, there are essentially 3 important components you will need: A playback device, AV Receivers, and of course, speakers. Here’s how to use them.
1. Playback Device
Playback devices are devices you can use to connect to the Atmos to get its content. However, this varies based on the kind of content you want to play, i.e. for a Blu-ray movie, you will need a Blu-ray player; for streaming movies and music, you’ll need a streaming box; and so on.
2. AV Receivers and Speakers
The best performance of the Dolby Atmos is shown by a good speaker which, of course, will need a receiver. The 3 primary considerations are:
- Multi-speaker and an AV Receiver connection, e.g. Polk Signature Elite ES20 Bookshelf Speaker – Dolby Atmos
- Dolby Atmos-enabled soundbar, e.g. VIZIO M-Series 5.1 Premium Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos
- Headphones enabled for Dolby Atmos, e.g. RIG 400 with Dolby Atmos for PC gaming.
Why Do You Need a Dolby Atmos Receiver?
Dolby Atmos sound technology creates a cinematic and detailed sound experience for movies, music, or home videos.
The major reason you need a Dolby Atmos Receiver is the flexibility of the speaker configurations. However, here are some other reasons.
- It offers you the opportunity to experience powerful sound immersion with up to 128 audio objects connected simultaneously.
- It has a smart technology that keeps the volume level of your content the same from channel to channel.
- Enjoy a sound delivery of 100% lossless quality audio delivery that is identical to the studio master.
- The use of Dolby Pro logic to discern the dimension and arrangements of the room to deliver enhanced sound – no matter the channel.
- High fidelity surrounds the audio experience that supports up to 7.1 channels and more on the latest receiver designs.
This article sums up the top Dolby Atmos-supported AV Receivers you can get if you are on a budget. We have handpicked the best receivers that are designed with the latest designs and multiple support. However, you need to understand that getting a cheaper Dolby Atmos receiver has its downsides too, notably its durability. But this does not eliminate the ability to enjoy a good sound experience for your budget.