A good ModMic is great for immersive gaming, just attach it to your headphone and you have a mic! This can help you get rich and quality sound while also enjoying the gaming experience. However, selecting the best ModMic alternatives for your headphone can be tricky.
In this article, you will get the best ModMic alternative you can select from. Whether you are a gamer, a tech-loving audiophile, a professional who wants something good for conference calls, or someone who just wants a good mic for your headphone, there is something for everyone.
One of the cheapest alternatives to the ModMic is the Zalman Z. Below are some other good options.
1. Best for Calls and Meetings: V-MODA BoomPro Microphone for Gaming & Communication
The V-Moda BoomPro microphone is easily the best alternative to Modmic. In fact, you can check out our detailed comparison of Modmic vs Boompro to learn more. It is an excellent selection for quality communication. It instantly attaches to the headset easily and delivers crystal clear communication.
The manufacturer dubbed it a versatile mic because of its ease of use for gaming, podcasting, conference calls, and every other talk on the go. A unique design that makes the mic easy to use is the bendable design.
This makes it easier to bend to any position where it is most comfortable -sitting or sleeping. It also has an inline mute switch that allows you to have an outside conversation without turning off your call or game.
- Background noise reduction for enhanced voice clarity.
- Rotary Volume control
- Compatible with most headphones with a 3.5mm input port and all V-Moda Crossfade Series.
- Develops volume control issue after a few months
- Requires a line-level input to work with professional camera recording.
- The build quality does not support long-term use.
2. Best For Gaming: HAOYU BoomPro Microphone for Gaming Communication
The HAOYU BoomPro Microphone is one of the best ModMic alternatives in price, compatibility, and delivery.
It is lightweight and delivers a crystal clear communication experience through background noise reduction. The HAOYU BoomPro Microphone also works like a typical ModMic. It can instantly upgrade your headphone to a professional headset that you can use for conference calls, gaming, podcasts, and others.
An interesting fact about this ModMic alternative is that it has a high range of compatibility. This means that you might not even need to get another headset to use it.
This microphone comes with some other interesting features that might make it the best choice.
- HD noise reduction feature.
- Anti-breakage gold plated tail protection and a woven nylon-fiber cord.
- 5ft cable length that allows for long-range use.
- Users reported it requires an extra cable to connect to the PC.
- The mic design is not really nice for outdoor use.
3. Best Noise Reduction: NeeGo Attachable Microphone for Headphones – Gaming and Communication
NeeGo Attachable Microphones are known primarily for their efficient noise reduction ability. This Modmic alternative is one of the cheapest you can get out there with a quality that is almost rivaling the more expensive ones.
It works just by connecting to the port of almost any headphone with a 3.5mm audio jack. It is flexible and strong which makes them easy to use anywhere without fear of break or damage.
The NeeGo Attachable Microphone has a state-of-the-art design that features an easy on and off button. Its features make it easier for gaming, podcasting, streaming, and conference calls.
In addition, the lightweight design makes it ideal for use over a long period without adding too much weight to the headphone. Many other amazing features that come with this microphone include
- A convenient volume control clip.
- Bendable mic attachment.
- Universal compatibility with most headphones.
- Selective headphone compatibility.
- Loose connection to the headphone which requires special attention to plug out.
- Some users report it makes a loud cracking noise when the mute switch is turned on.
4. Best For Logitech Headphones: Logitech G733 Crystal Sound Wireless Noise Isolation replacement Microphone
The Logitech G733 replacement mic is a backup gaming and communication mic. It is a good ModMic alternative due to its sound quality and the high noise canceling feature.
However, its major demerit is the fact that it is only compatible with the Logitech G733 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Headset.
Therefore, you will not be able to use the wireless microphone unless you bought it alongside the Logitech G733 headset or bought it as a replacement.
It has a voice filter technology that helps it deliver crystal clear and professional sound. It connects to devices through Bluetooth on the Logitech G733 Wireless headset.
- Comes with voice filter technology.
- Crystal clear sound production
- Bluetooth connection with compatible Logitech G733
- Can be used as a replacement mic for Logitech G733
- Doesn’t work with most headphones except a compatible Logitech G733
- Poor product customer support.
- Breaking Bluetooth connection after a while in use.
5. Best For Long Range Use: V-MODA Boom Pro X Microphone
This microphone is another quality Modmic alternative from V-Moda. The BoomPro X has many advanced features that make it one of the best selections.
Some of the features include enhanced voice clarity, a corded unidirectional microphone, and beautiful customization options.
The V-Moda BoomPro X microphone is adjustable for perfect microphone positioning. It also comes with an extension cable that allows for longer-range use. Don’t forget it also comes with up to 5 different colors for personalization.
- Comes with a lighter and slimmer control
- Has 5 color customizable microphone cover
- Background noise-canceling
- Ease of removal and fixing
- Some users complained of muffled microphone sound
- The volume slider is unable to mute when low volume
- Adjustment issues can cause the mic not to pick up sound
Wireless ModMic Alternatives
Currently, there is no direct wireless microphone alternative to most wireless ModMic. This is because most wireless ModMics are specifically made to work with one type of device. However, several headphones come with a wireless microphone.
The demerit of this wireless microphone is that it can not work with any other headphones except for the ones they are designed for.
Some of the best headsets with wireless microphone include:
COOSII P80C Bluetooth Headphones Wireless with...
- CSR Bluetooth Chipset & CVC 6. 0 Noise Reduction: The CSR Bluetooth chipset technology provides a fast,...
- Dual Microphone & Crystal Sound: Wireless Headphones have adopted boom dual-microphone technology that...
- Feel the Comfort and Easy Control: The Bluetooth Headset is designed for maximum comfort. Made by high-quality...
SALE!!NUBWO G06 Dual Wireless Gaming Headset with...
- Switch between the game and reality seamlessly - G06 simultaneously connects to PC/PlayStation and phones....
- Effortless Wireless Gameplay - Transition from tangled cables to smooth wireless gaming. Leveraging a 2.4GHz...
- Bluetooth Ready - Experience quick, lag-free audio connectivity. Switch to Bluetooth mode with a simple 2-tap...
BENGOO G9700 Gaming Headset Headphones for PS4 PS5...
- Multi-Platform Compatible - Support PS4, PS5, New Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, Laptop, Tablet,...
- Humanized Design and White LED Lights - Made up of the skin-friendly and thickened memory foam, which is...
- 3D Immersive Surround Sound - Clear sound operating strong bass, splendid ambient noise isolation and high...
Cheap Modmic Alternative
This wired mic is unarguably one of the cheapest microphones you can get. The lavalier microphone delivers a pretty good communication quality.
It comes at a price below $15 but delivers quality that’s almost matching those three times more expensive. It allows multiple users at once and delivers quality sound without background noise.
The mic however needs to be plugged directly into the mic-port of the device without connecting to the headphone.
1. What is the meaning of ModMic?
The ModMic is a high-quality boom microphone that can be attached to any set of headphones or a flat, non-rubberized surface. This allows consumers to use their chosen headphones while still reaping the benefits of a high-quality microphone.
2. How long does a ModMic last on average? How is its battery life?
The ModMic Wireless microphone has a battery life of 12 hours or more. Although they can last for a long time, they will eventually run out if the device is not charged.
3. Is a ModMic worth it?
Yes, ModMic is worth it and is trusted by many. When we talk about a microphone’s quality, the ModMic Wireless exceeds most wired gaming headsets. The ModMic Wireless, unlike other Bluetooth microphones, does not compress the sound. It’s also a sensitive mic, so your speech comes through loud and clear.
4. Can too much gain damage a mic?
A loud sound is unlikely to harm a microphone in most cases. A dynamic microphone can tolerate sound pressure levels over 150dB SPL.
5. Does ModMic Wireless work with a PC?
Yes, ModMic can work with a PC. It can also work with Linux, Mac, PS4, and any other USB type A device.
As of today, Antlion Modmic still stands ahead of most headphone microphones. However, there are still some alternatives out there that are also pretty good. Most of these alternatives offer good noise cancellation features that deliver quality communication. You can easily choose from any of the options mentioned in the article for a quality gaming or conference call experience.
In addition, if you want a more professional mic, you can check out a mic for recording like the AKG C414 XLS or XLII.
Norvan Martin is the founder of BoomSpeaker.com. He is a professional Electronics Engineer and is passionate about home theater systems and AV electronics. BoomSpeaker was created as an online hub to share his knowledge and experiences as it relates to home theaters and home audio electronics.